Greek Revival wit Italianate features
There were several changes after the initial construction: 1936-large front veranda removed and part of it used for present front entrance, using original pillars: two tall windows, front, shortened and doorway changed: 1950- dentils removed;s a room was built on the roof of summer kitchen, and chimney on north wall for additional fireplaces. Interior changes were conversion of firs floor to doctor's offices and second and third floors for living quarters.
In 1852 this house was located at the corner of W. Church Street and Columbia Street and the owner was George Brush, lawyer. The plot was a continuation of the Wisner Town Plot, By 1876 the house was situated on the where it now stands. In 1851, Joseph Bates, J. Henry Cochran, Rev. DeWitt Munger, presiding elder of the Elmira district of the Methodist Episcopal Church, Mary Gavin, proprietor of the New England Kitchen and Leland Holmes, owner of Fish and Holmes, wholesale dry goods. Dr. and Mrs. Swen Larson purchased the house form the Holmes Estate. Dr. Larson is a prominent Elmira physician.
357-359 Columbia St Elmira NY circa 1