This house has a cross gable roof and extensive use of wood for trim. There are plain and scrolled modillions, decorated fascia, stick trim in the porch pediment wide/narrow shingles in gable pediment, vertical and diagonal trim on belt curs. The windows are long, narrow and have entablature heads. The wrapped porch has turned post and spindles. A shuttered gable window has a half sunburst design. Between 1903-1918 a wrap porch was added on the front north siee and a bay window was added on the north side.
This house was built on a block of land originally owned by John D. Baldwin. He brought the first coat to Elmira in 1849. In 1876, the lot was owned by D. A. Blakeslee, principal of school #2, and occupant of the adjacent house on Second St.,. Occupants of the house have included J Harry Caghy, insurance; Fred Warner, buyer for W. H. Talyea and Co., leaf tobacco; the Mallon family. This family has owned and occupied the house since the 1930's. Sadie Mallon was a teacher at School #10.
You are visitor number 1/3/14